Everyday Toxins

Shade-House-sept13There is new information constantly coming to light about everyday things in our lives that are really toxic. Just because there isn’t an immediate, very observable, toxic reaction or death, doesn’t mean that slowly, over time there isn’t a toxic buildup happening. This slow accumulation of toxic residue is far more dangerous, as it quietly creeps up on us, slowly creating a new normal that is shrugged off or misunderstood.

There are three main paths by which a toxin is taken into the body: by swallowing or injecting the toxin, by absorbing through the skin or by inhaling vapours.

Some “normal” toxins in our lives include:

Water

Do we really know what we are drinking, showering or cooking in when we use tap water?

Chlorine, heavy metals, pesticides, plastic and pharmaceutical residues – they all end up in our drinking water. Most tap water has been treated with Chlorine, Fluoride and often up to 300 other chemicals, so it’s no surprise that this water can contribute to an assortment of health problems. A cocktail of chemicals is much more toxic than the simple sum of the individual chemicals. And it is the long term, accumulative effect of all we ingest and come into contact with, that becomes so detrimental to health.

Solution: Tank water is a viable alternative or a reverse osmosis water purifier for drinking water.

Mold

Thousands of people each year suffer from mold toxicity, and most of these people don’t even know that they are sick from mold.

Mold exposure is associated with catching more colds, more infections in the lower respiratory system and irritation of skin, eyes, fever and headache. The effects of molds and dampness on the respiratory health of children are comparable to the effect of passive smoking and include other effects such as asthma and chronic bronchitis.

Solution: Good ventilation is the best deterrent and fixing leaks and any damp. A few ways to clean mold are to use vinegar or tea tree oil or clove oil.

Household Cleaners

Detergents – liquid, cake/bar or powder – are mistakenly accepted as safe, but they actually pose risks to our health and that of our environment. Detergents and their components are now found in our waterways, and in most drinking water. Most detergents are produced almost entirely from petrochemicals or coal and contain a high percentage of ingredients which are toxic.

Detergents can cause irritations to the skin, allergies and asthma. Laundry detergent residues in clothes and linen can cause skin irritation such as rashes, itchiness and inflammation.

Dishwashing detergents are particularly deceptive because the user is in close contact with the product and are usually inhaling the chemicals in them from the steam rising from the hot water in the sink. This problem is made worse by the fact that pleasant, “natural” scents are (chemically) added to mask any chemical smells and to give the perception of improved cleaning, and safety.

A study showed workers with 4 to 27 years of exposure to the manufacture of commercial soaps and detergents had a higher than normal rate of laryngeal cancer and lung cancer.

Detergent ingredients can break down under normal usage conditions into, an oestrogen mimic, disrupting our normal reproductive functioning. Although similar to oestrogen in structure, nonylphenol are synthetic compounds and have many unwanted and unpleasant side effects. Prenatal exposure to these endocrine disruptors can interfere with the normal establishment of gender and reproductive factors.
Cleaning our home with chemicals is not as effective as we think. Constant use of antibacterial cleaning products has the same effect as overuse of oral antibiotics. ‘Super Bugs’ are created (resilient bacteria).

For further reading Ref  http://www.novamagazine.com.au/article_archive/2009/2009-04-costofclean.htm

Solution: A natural cleaning kit would consist of vinegar, baking soda, salt, lemon and citric acid, washing soda, and a few essential oils ie eucalyptus, tea tree, lavender, lemon.
A clean dry surface will contain minimal bacteria as mold and bacteria flourish in a moist environment so keep all surfaces clean and dry.

Pesticides

Pesticides are sprayed to remove or kill bugs and pests, so it is obvious they are toxic and can have harmful reactions in our bodies, maybe not immediately, but over time. Pesticides can help create: reproductive disruptions, cancer, suppress the immune system, and they are often neuro toxins – which means they are toxic to the nervous system.
In conventional food production systems, not all pesticides remain on a plant’s exterior so washing or peeling fruits and vegetables won’t protect you from systemic pesticides which spread throughout the plant’s tissues. The chemicals then circulate through the plant’s tissues, killing the insects that feed on them. Use of these pesticides on food crops began in 1998.

Solution: The best course of action here is to grow as much as you can of your own food organically, either in the ground or in containers. Other than that, buy organic where ever possible.

Food

We often tend to skip over the lists of ingredients in products we buy, because we don’t have the time or we don’t understand what the words mean anyway. Offending toxic ingredients are either so toxic the amount in the product is under the percentage for having to be added to an ingredient list, or they keep changing and hiding the name of the product in an attempt to stay ahead of our awareness. Often a product sounds healthy, but really isn’t. Just because it says blueberry muffins, doesn’t guarantee it has a blueberry in it; just some laboratory created look alike.

Solution: To know what you are eating and what is in your food, it needs to be home grown or carefully selected, and prepared in the home. This is where food is prepared to nourish and sustain Life, not a corporation’s profit sheet.

Choose to Live as Simply Naturally as you can!

What other Solutions do you use to reduce toxins in your life?

Untitled-2Shared on Frugal Days,Sustainable Ways , Old-Fashioned Friday, Small Footprint Friday, Natural Living Monday , Simple Saturday

Advertisements

One thought on “Everyday Toxins

  1. Vinegar is a champ! You are so right about things not being blueberry…I read about those breakfast cereals that are just a blue chemical and not one piece of fruit is even in the cereal with blueberries! Yikes-that is crazy!:-)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s