Now that I am avoiding wheat flour, and a number of other usual cooking ingredients, I am looking to healthier alternatives, without losing that rich decadent flavor and texture.
This is a recipe for a truly delicious, rich, fudge chocolate cake, made with some healthier alternative ingredients.
Chocolate Fudge Berry Cakes
½ cup butter
¼ cup coconut oil
1/3 – ½ cup coconut or rapadura sugar, depending on sweetness required
¼ cup cacao
1/3 cup spelt flour or arrowroot flour
¼ tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla essence
½ cup cranberries or other berries –fresh, dried or frozen
1. Soften the butter and coconut oil
2. Add the sugar, cacao and vanilla, and blend/beat until creamy
3. Add the eggs, and blend them in to create a smooth creamy texture
4. Add the flour and salt, and mix in well
5. Lastly gently stir in the berries, (especially if fresh or frozen berries are used)
6. Put into small muffin tins and cook at 180 degrees Celsius for 20 minutes
This amount makes 6 small cakes. Just enough for one person, if that person is a chocolate and berry lover like me. Just kidding, even I couldn’t eat them all. They are very rich.
I like to make them using dried cranberries, although fresh or frozen berries give them a fresher and lighter flavor.
You can double the recipe for a larger family.